Learn More: Retail Director
Optimize an unmatched retail experience.
Full Time | Corporate
Job Title: Retail Director
Location: Strategically Remote (within 25 miles of any NWKW retail location)
Reports to: COO
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience + Incentives
At New West KnifeWorks, we believe in the power of beautiful tools to turn everyday chores into joyful experiences. We make our premium knives just like we cook; we use the finest ingredients and prepare them with the patient hands of an artist. The result is a finely-crafted masterpiece that fuses form and function. As a locally-grown, founder-led brand, we believe in spreading joy throughout our company, our factory, our stores and in giving back to the local communities that we call home. For 25 years, we’ve been on a mission to make innovative, functional art for the kitchen and field and share our love of genuine hospitality and high-quality craftsmanship with customers from around the World.
About the Opportunity
We are growing rapidly and have an exciting opportunity for an energetic Director of Retail who can help us create a data-informed strategy and execution plan that incorporates the best of who we are and can drive us forward to where we’re going. The Director of Retail will lead the expansion of our store fleet with a heavy emphasis on improving and extending our best-in-class retail experience (we currently have four high-performing stores with a fifth fifth on the way soon!). This key channel leader will manage several direct reports across multiple retail locations (travel required) and will help direct other key growth initiatives including enhancing our community impact, expanding our Pro partnerships, refining our after-sales/sharpening program and more. The Director of Retail is the prime ambassador of our approach to retail hospitality and customer service and should be well-versed in establishing and refining store operational standards, customer experience, customer experience, KPIs and goals to hold empowered teams accountable for business success.
About the Role
Leads the Way
- Oversees the current retail stores, devising ongoing strategy and expansion efforts and driving to exceed financial results.
- Develops a deep understanding of, broadly supports and effectively communicates the execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Leads the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods, and practices for the retail channel.
- Translates company strategies and initiatives into actionable plans and executes successful delivery across existing and new stores.
Works diligently to enhance performance across sales, customer experience, store and team productivity, operations, and compliance.
- Establishes cadence and systems for all-stores communication and strengthens retail staff’s access and connection to leadership through regular store visits and conference calls.
- Works with Human Resources and other HQ teams to implement training materials, policies, procedures, and programs to ensure employee growth, development and compliance.
- Oversees recruiting, hiring, training and development of retail leaders and employees and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Supports new store openings and the company's plans for retail expansion.
Drive Store Performance
- Continuously reviews and drives performance across sales and retail KPIs by inspiring and empowering store leaders and teams.
- Anticipates business challenges and proactively plans to improve current store performance as necessary.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees to achieve success.
- Seeks out opportunities to drive customer engagement within New West KnifeWorks as well as through new community partnerships.
- Drives operational excellence in-store by evaluating current retail Standard Operating Procedures and providing feedback to enhance policies and improve processes to support overall customer experience (inventory flows and accuracy, front of house and back of house organization, timely deliveries, scheduling, etc).
- In partnership with the Finance team, manages Retail Channel P+L and individual store P+Ls through proper planning, cost analysis and deft management of budget.
Passions and Expertise
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, feedback and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Exhibits a strong sense of self-awareness
- Identifies opportunities of growth in each store to increase overall market performance
- Embraces challenges and encouraging others to do so
- Learns from successes as well as setbacks
- Inspires others to be agents of change
- Adapts quickly and remaining positive and solution-focused
- Is confident in taking initiative and identifying the appropriate course of action
- 6-8 years of experience in a high-volume, multi-unit leadership role
- Proven track record of developing and promoting diverse talent
- Financial and business acumen to drive profitability
- Ability to be flexible and agile and operate under ambiguity
- Ability to organize, analyze, and summarize complex information to make data-driven decisions. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets, formulas, and pivot tables.
- Seeks out technology to improve processes and efficiency. Comfortable using and managing a wide range of systems.
Proven ability to establish trust and inspire direct reports
- Ability to motivate other members of the organization to support projects and tasks
- Preferred Work Location: Denver, CO; Jackson Hole, WY; Park City, UT; Napa, CA; Victor, ID; Chicago, IL
- Frequent travel to store locations required
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with resume attached and cover letter in email body to apply.
Production Shop & ID OfficesAddress | 7667 Lupine Lane, Victor ID 83455 Phone | 877.258.0100